Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)

Talk about Adobe Acrobat PDF reader (Windows only). Acrobat is the de facto standard used to create PDF files, present multiple documents in a PDF Portfolio, and even add multimedia. All in a single file. 

Keywords Adobe, Acrobat, Reader, Windows, PDF, created, PowerPoint, larger, original, file

PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)

AuthorMessage
Rob_Howe (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

I am using Acrobat 6 Pro & PowerPoint XP. Every time I try and print or create a PDF from the PowerPoint, the PDF file is larger than the PowerPoint. The last one I tried, the PowerPoint was 3mb and the PDF came out to 7mb. I have tried to see if there was anything wrong with my print settings, but there is nothing in the settings that has been changed. I am not trying to print to press, but am only using the Standard setting.

Anyone have any idea why my pdf file is growing instead of shrinking as it should?
W_T_Allen (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

Could be lots of things. Do you have transparent images? Background gradients? Linked (instead of embedded) images in the PPT file?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

I have a few watermark graphics in the background, but that's it. I have printed this file from a different computer using the same software products and it was not larger than a 500kb file after being converted to PDF. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to access that computer at this time.
Jan_Schroeder (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

<<< I have printed this file from a different computer using the same software products and it was not larger than a 500kb file after being converted to PDF. >>>

But were the Distiller SETTINGS the same on each machine, Rob?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

Yes, I have been using the default print settings that Acrobat installs.
Jan_Schroeder (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

I realize your machine has the default settings, but are you sure the other machine does too? And even with the defaults Acrobat provides, there are still 7 different default conversion settings to chose from ... each with their own unique compression, downsampling and text/image quality values ... are you sure each machine is indeed selecting the identical setting?

If you're getting different results on two separate machines, Rob, there has to be a delta somewhere. We just have to figure out what it is.
Scott_Falkner (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

Also understand that any graphics on your master slide are stored once in the PowerPoint file, but several times in the PDF. A minor consideration is also fonts, which are stored in teh PDF, but not in the PowerPoint file. Fonts, however, usually do not add much to the file size, unless you are using lots of them or are using complex fonts like grunge-style fonts or rough edged hand drawn looking fonts.
William_A._Davis (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: PDF created from PowerPoint is larger than original file

The graphics that are repeated in a PDF should also be optimized out. That is the process that is supposed to occur.

Since you are comparing the results between 2 machine, you really need to check the different settings. Even if you use the Standard settings file, that could have been changed as well as several of the other settings in the Adobe PDF printer properties. The settings file is only part of the choice set. Start your checking from the Adobe PDF printer properties and not from Distiller. The printer properties generally override any Distiller properties.
   Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1